Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Little Creative Fun

Well, this past weekend was my wonderful hubby's birthday. He decided he wanted something small. So I planned a get-together/game night with some friends and family at our place. In other words, the ladies go at it in cards while the gents rid the world of zombies. It turned out to be a fun night for even the munchkins crawling around throwing balls and conversing in their adorable babbles.

In the process of prepping for the party I decided I needed to add something "festive" to our partially decorated apartment. As I looked in the party section at Walmart I soon realized that unless this party were for a kid I wasn't going to find anything I liked. So I quickly searched through Pinterest for something to make that wouldn't cost much. I came across a garland that looked fun. As I read the blog, I realized how easy it was and went straight to the craft section.

I bought printed card stock. This one was a 30-sheet pack. (I would suggest making sure it is printed double-sided if you're using something with pattern) cost=$5.61 +tax

I cut out circles in two different sizes and triangles. One sheet of every pattern I wanted. Lots of patience needed. But if you have little ones they would love to help I'm sure. My handsome liked all the shapes as they ended up all over the floor.

Once I had all my shapes cut out, it was time to put it together. Get this, all you do is sew them together with a machine. Just slide one in at a time and go! It's the easiest thing ever. Don't overlap but don't leave too much slack in between each piece. I allowed maybe a couple stitches once I got the hang of it. I used a simple straight, tight stitch. I rotated patterns but allowed the shapes to kind of go however. I didn't want a distinct pattern. If you're a little more OCD then you could do triangle>circle>triangle>circle and so forth.

I ended with different lengths because my thread popped when there was too much slack in between shapes. But, it ended up working well with the different lengths.

I hung them in different places around the apartment depending on the length. Over the window, over the front door, across the beam in our dining room, and over the sofa.

They were a big hit at the party. Got lots of compliments and hubby loved them. Good, cause I was worried he may think they were too kiddish, but, no.

The next day I decided to take them and hang them over Handsome's crib. I've been thinking of how to re-docorate his room. So my plan is to take a color from the garland and use that. The garland came out great over his bed. Don't ask how I got it up there. Lets just say I was a very bad influence to my son who loves to climb on furniture.

That's my bit of creative fun. Only cost me $5.61 and patience. And I didn't even use half of the pack of paper.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think...